Monday 11 March 2013

Question 2 Essay Format


How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?
  
When creating my music video, magazine advert and digipak I ensured to make a recognisable ‘house style’ so that the theme of the album will be easily identified by its target audience, in result; working together to promote the album. The extended metaphor that runs through all my three products is the feeling of childhood and nostalgia. However, also how carefree actions reflect on other people’s lives – which is reinforced within the lyrics of my song choice.

          My music video has the purpose to entertain its audience and also, to create a character that fans of Birdy can personally identify with, therefore feel sympathy for when observing the ending of my music video. As well as this, it was also used to amplify the lyrics and message behind the song “People Help The People” by using a modern and interesting narrative to reflect how your actions impact others. The way the video is filmed; using slow motion and gentle slow cuts helps to represent my theme of childhood and innocence, creating a feeling of nostalgia amongst older viewers – encouraging them to remember a more carefree time. The artist I chose will naturally help sales and stimulate word-of-mouth, as she is of a very young age with such great talent.

            The purpose of the magazine advert is literally to promote the album and contribute to the image and style of the artist I wish to create. I feel my magazine advert successfully represents this as I chose to design it using very neutral colours such as beige and pastel green – which will appeal to the target audience of my artist as they will appreciate products representing a vintage fashion and that reflect nature. In terms of the image of the old radio; it signifies the era my music video is set in, which is reiterated within the mise en scene of all my products. It’s also a visual representation of everything my artist stands for – music. This will instantly assist sales of the album, as my target audience will appreciate artists with a passion and consideration for music. The mention of it being sold on Digipak will appeal to more enthusiastic fans of Birdy, as they will be able to buy a high quality product, that includes photographs of the artist; which might be used and kept as a collector’s item – making them feel as though they are getting something special and worthy of their money.

            The digipak I created also maintains to portray the vintage house style with the sepia and shadowed effect I have applied to my photographs. The darkened edges around each picture make the customer feel as though they are peaking through something, generating the feeling of exclusiveness; as if they are seeing something not many people are privileged to see. The title of my digipak “My Dream World” reinforces my theme of childhood and innocence – as children dream incessantly and are often referred to being “in their own little world”. I downloaded a font called RiotSquad, as I felt it was bold enough to grab a customer’s attention, without ruining the elegance and picturesque manner of the product. As this is the artist’s first album she has created, I felt featuring a wide selection of photos of the artist was necessary, in order to get her known and recognised by her potential fans. I tried to create an air of mystery about her, by applying brushes such as glitter and twinkles around her body. This will attract the younger target audience I am aiming for, as well as reflecting the magical and enchanting style of my music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment